Dragon Moon has finally gone to the printers. We had put the finishing touches to it on Sunday night, fiddling around with maps etc. Then at 4 am on Tuesday morning I was woken by a loud noise. I sent my husband to investigate. I have this bell, given to me by Korean friends, that is suspended from the mouth of a brass dragon. It’s quite heavy. A large book on Egyptian archeology had chosen that moment to fall sideways and knock the bell off my bookshelf.
As I lay there trying to get back to sleep, something popped into my head. I realised there was a mistake in the book. Not a big one, but something I wanted to fix. Ali, my long-suffering editor, was very calm when I rang and told her. (Though I’m sure she was less calm on the inside.) I suppose printers must be used to this sort of last minute drama and factor in time to allow for it. We were able to make the changes and now the book is definitely “at the printers”.