So I’ve started writing a new novel. It’s a Dragonkeeper novel. But it doesn’t follow on from Dragon Moon. It’s set about 400 years later.
This is my fifth Dragonkeeper book. I suppose I thought it might be a bit easier, fifth time round. It isn’t. I spent about two months last year working out the characters and the plot. I wrote a six or seven page synopsis, so I thought I had it all worked out. I didn’t. The story I am writing is changing as I write it. In the synopsis I’ve got “A meets B and together they do C.” But when I come to write it, I find that A and B can’t possibly meet because they are in different places, and, what’s more, D hasn’t happened yet, so they couldn’t do C anyway.
I have to reorganise events, rethink the characters’ motivation, and think of another way for them to do what I want them to do. Today I did a big plot diagram on my whiteboard and I think I made some progress. I’ll see tomorrow when I reread my ideas from today if I still think they work.
If not, it’ll be back to the whiteboard.